PROFIT ANALYSIS OF A SUCCESSFUL GRASSCUTTER BUSINESS
Initial Start-up in (Naira) =N=
1 family = 5 grasscutters (1male & 4 females) @ =N=70,000 each
Starting with 5 families = 25 grasscutters @ =N= 350,000
Cage / Housing = =N= 75,000 for 5 families
Food supplements (soya bean, crush animal bone, PKC ) = =N= 30,000 / year
TOTAL = =N= 455,000
Expected Income in (Naira ) = N=
1 female gives birth to an average of 4 animals within 6 months
4 females will give you an average of 16 grasscutters within 6months
16 grasscutters x 5 families = 80 grasscutters within 6 months
In 1 year, you will be expecting about 160 grasscutters.
The grasscutters weigh between 6- 10kg at maturity
Let’s assume you sell each for =N= 6,000
6000 x 160= =N=960, 000.
FACTS TO CONSIDER
1. You spent =N= 70,000 to buy your parent stock (breeding stock) @ =N= 14,000 per grasscutter, why should you sell for less? I mean the breeding stock.
2. In the 2nd year you will not be concerned with housing and buying breeding stock, that measn much more profit for you.
3. Grasscutters rarely get sick. The cost of treatment is negligible. For example when they have dysentery ( running stomach) You administer chalk coal.
4. Pls note that grasscutter as a delicacy is for the rich and it is in very high demand at restaurants, fast food outlets, hotels, and pepper soup joints and would be grasscutter farmers like you.
5. Breeding stock is more expensive than the fully grown animal.
6. Mortality rate in grasscutter is very low
7. Risk level is very low
8. Grasscutters have been known to litter (give birth) 11 offspring in some cases so using 3 offspring in the estimate above is just to be very very conservative. You will certainly see much more than 4 grasscutters in some cases.
9. There is joy in owning a grasscutter farm.
10. Grasscutter business is an inheritable business that if properly managed; it may out-live the owner and pass on to the next generation.
11.The cost of feeding is very low compared to that of poultry, piggery or fish farming.